Monday, December 16, 2013

JESOT 2.2

I noticed today that the new volume of the Journal for the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament was out.

You can check it out here.

In this volume, I offer a review of Peter Enns' work The Evolution of Adam (pp. 218-23). This really was one of the more thought-provoking books I have read in a long time. Whatever you think of Enns, and he is a rod for controversy, you cannot deny that his presentation on this issue is well done and engaging.

Lets be honest. He says things that need to be said. Now, do not get me wrong, while my review reveals my (overall) positive reception to his work, I am not buying into his argument hook, line, and sinker. (I will defer to Pauline scholars on his discussion of Pauline theology. However, for an interesting video that is currently making its rounds, click here). I do think that much of what he says about the genre of opening chapters of Genesis is something that needs to be emphasized more and more.

Genre is critical to good interpretation, and understanding genre helps us understand the demands of the text. Without recognizing and respecting the demands of the text, the chances that our interpretation will hijack the text and ask it to bear a weight that it is not designed to bear increase significantly.


No comments:

Post a Comment