Monday, October 21, 2013

And So I Begin



So I begin with a confession…
I used to be one of those people who used to view blogs as an outlet for narcissists. I often said to myself, “Only people who think too highly of themselves and their opinions blog.” So, it begs the question, “Why have you taken up a blog?” Is it because you too have become a narcissist, or embraced narcissistic tendencies?

Well, I would hope that it is not because I have become a narcissist, or that I think too highly of my opinions. (Although, it is possible that certain people may disagree with that statement.) Rather, it is because I have become convinced that blogging is a trend that young scholars would be wise to utilize. Quite simply, blogging is a useful tool to which young scholars can point as evidence of their intellect and ideas. This is particularly important in a climate where steady teaching positions are becoming increasingly hard to secure by young scholars. Publications are great, but let us be honest here. Despite the boom of publications, publishing articles in reputable journals and publications is still difficult. Unfortunately, I am probably already behind the curve on this whole blogging thing, but as the old saying goes, “Better late than never.”

So what about the name of this blog? “Mere Musings.” A musing is a product of reflection or thought…of deep contemplation. This is what I want this blog to be about. I do not want it to be a blog devoted to everything little thing. Where the postings come every day, or every other day, and speak to superficial things. Not only do I not have time to blog every day, but more importantly I want it to be substantive. Again…to increase my footprint as a young biblical scholar. 

I use the word "mere" intentionally as well. Simply, I do not know if these musings will be worth anything. Perhaps if this blog starts to "blow up" (as the kids say) I will rename it ""Superior Musings" ;)

Do not get me wrong, this blog will not only be devoted to my ideas of biblical scholarship. It will be devoted to issues of sports and my family. To anyone who knows me, this is not a surprise. I love sports, and I love my family. In fact, there will be times where I will just want to talk about them. Take for instance Manchester United. They made an interesting hire after the departure of Sir Alex Ferguson. David Moyes, the old Everton coach who exhibits a dramatically different coaching style than Sir Alex did. I have to be honest, Man United is in trouble and unless things change, Moyes does not last two full seasons. I am not saying it is “his fault,” but it may be the (unfortunate) reality of things.

Anyway, enough for now.

And so…I am blogging. Who knows how long it will last, but I want to give it a shot. We shall see….

1 comment:

  1. I want to be known as the first person to comment on Dave Schreiner's blog. Hopefully when historians recover this I can get a footnote somewhere.

    ReplyDelete